Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Showers

It is no secret how I love my showers. If I could take ten a day I would. Showers with kids home…well…. today goes something like this. Kids are fed, Carter is down for nap and boys are having quiet/movie time before nap – pretty safe timing. Just as I was finishing up my shower Aaron comes in and says Aidan is hurt. I asked Aaron if he was crying he said Aidan was bleeding – GREAT! I tell Aaron to send Aidan in and I turn it on super speed. Just as I pull the curtain back there stands Aidan no tears, but blood running down his nose. Apparently he hit himself in the face when he was swinging a belt around. All is fine now, but it made me laugh thinking about the different life phases of my showers.

It all started toward the end of my twin pregnancy when I had to bring a stool into the shower because I could hardly stand in one place for 15 min, nonetheless shave my legs standing up. Then when the boys were born the timing thing was a big hurdle. Do you clean yourself or nap, and if you do decide to shower what if one on the babies wakes up. Then came the days when I would bring the bouncie seats into the bathroom and play peek-a-boo in between rinses. Then the boys started to learn to sit up and on more than one occasion I had to hurdle out of the shower to tighten them up in the seats. We eventually had to move out of the bouncie and onto the exersaucer and jumparoo. If you saw me hauling those two big things into the bathroom through the doorway – you would truly understand my love for showers. Unfortunately there was about a year phase that showers only happened when dad was home. Then just when they started talking I started to brave the showers again. The boys were just old enough to say and understand what uh-oh meant. My little Aaron – my helper. If Aidan was getting into something Aaron would come into the bathroom saying uh-oh. Over the years it grew into Mom, Aidan is…. Add Carter to the mix and we went through another phase no showers during the day. I cannot count the number of times I have had to jump out of the shower for one reason or another. From someone needing wiped to the boys telling me that Carter, once again, climbed to the top bunk. As crazy as it makes me it brings a smile to my face thinking about all these times. I already miss those smiling little faces from shower peek-a-boo and Carters mass hysteria every time I went out of sight.

1 comment:

Jami said...

Last summer it was just me and Cooper at home, so like you I dragged the exersaucer into our bedroom and placed it outside my bathroom door. I was in shower for about 30 seconds when I hear screaming, I peek out the door and Cooper is no longer in the exersaucer but laying on the floor.. he had tipped it over and managed to miss hitting his head on the edge of the bed. That started my no more showers unless Daddy is home.